Click the link below to view our story with LEAFLY..
Click the link below to view our story with LEAFLY..
It is known that over-the-counter drugs such as ibuprofen and naproxen can cause blood-thinning and stomach ulceration. CBD is a proven to be a safer alternative for anti-inflammatory without these side effects. During an injury, inflammation is the body’s natural way of protecting the body. However persistent inflammation is connected to heart disease, cancer, diabetes, inflammatory bowel disease, rheumatoid arthritis, and Alzheimer’s.
Some of the most prevalent side effects of inflammation are pain, redness, warmth and swelling. Inflammation is a result of chemicals being released from your body’s white blood cells that enter your blood and tissue to prevent your body from invaders. One of the methods CBD helps relieve inflammation is associated with eicosanoid enzyme called COX2. Over-the-counter NSAID takes a similar approach. CBD seems to also be effective in suppressing cytokines, ultimately decreasing inflammation.
The evidence about how CBD can treat several anxiety disorders is starting to come in abundance from several preclinical studies. Studies are showing that CBD can be effective in the following disorders: General anxiety disorder, panic disorder, social anxiety disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and post-traumatic stress disorder(PTSD). Although some of these disorders are more intense than others, effective dosing may vary from person to person. CBD counteracts the fear that is causing these disorders by helping regulate receptors in the brain, directly and indirectly affecting opioid, serotonin, and adenosine levels.
Antioxidants are elements that can protect your cells against free radicals. Which may play a role in heart disease and cancer. When your body breaks down food or if you are exposed to radiation, free radicals are molecules produced. Which are not good for your health. Some antioxidant drugs have particular administration as neuroprotectants, serving to protect nerve cells against damage, degeneration, or impairment of function. Cannabidiol(CBD) is a powerful antioxidant which can prevent or treat diseases related to oxidative stress, such as neuronal hypoxia by administering a therapeutically effective amount of CBD to a subject that has a disease caused by oxidative stress.
Terpenes and Flavonoids found in HHF products.
• Most common terpene in the natural world.
• It may be useful for pain, inflammation, or anxiety.
• Can help retain memories more efficiently
• May help combat short term memory impairment
• Earthy piney scent, you guessed it, like a forest of pine trees
• Fun fact: Pinene can also be found in conifer trees, orange peels, turpentine, pine needles, rosemary, dill, basil, and parsley.
• Believed to provide anxiety and stress relief, uplifting mood
• Antioxidant, inflammatory properties, anti-fungal, antibacterial
• May help against stomach ulcers and gastric influx
• May help relieve heartburn
• Fruity citrus aromas
• Also found in lemon and orange rinds
• Improves absorption of other terpenes and chemical compounds by way of the skin, mucous membranes, and digestive tract
• The most common terpene in the modern commercial cannabis.
• Believed to promote calming effects.
• Also found in ylang ylang, bay, parsley, thyme, lemongrass, hops and cardamom, plus the mango fruit.
• According to a swiss study it is the most prominent terpene contained in cannabis
• Believed to have anti-inflammatory and anti-tumor properties while also acting as a sedative.
• Has earthy aromas
· The only terpene known to act as a cannabinoid
· It can bind to our CB2 receptor and have anti-inflammatory effects
· Its ability to interact with our endocannabinoid system shows potential medical benefits
· Also found in rosemary, cloves, black pepper, oregano, basil, and cinnamon.
· The scent is spicy and musky with a funky profile.
· Oxygenated terpene
· Antifungal and anticoagulant
· Commonly used as a preservative in food, drugs, and cosmetics.
· Analgesic, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antifungal, antimicrobial
· Used for hundreds of years in cosmetics known for its skin healing properties
· Neuroprotectant that may help fight against Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s
· Has been effective at blocking the mutagens on genetic integrity in liver cells
· Has been associated with pain relief
· Found in the chamomile flower and cannabis plant
· Known for its light, sweet, and floral aroma
· Has a sweet, earthy, and citrus aroma that is popular in perfumes
· Found in hops, kumquats, basil, mangos, lavender, orchards, and pepper.
· Deterrent for detrimental bugs like aphids.
· Ocimene may inhibit the proliferation of key enzymes helping treat symptoms of diabetes
· The essential oils of black pepper seeds, in a study, showed ocimene to have anti-oxidative properties as well as inhibit key enzymes linked to type 2 diabetes and hypertension.
· Effective anti-inflammatory and analgesic
· Acts as an appetite suppressant
Although few to minimal studies have been performed on humans with cannabidiol and arthritis, recent studies performed on our furry little friends are very promising for CBD helping dogs with similar arthritis found in humans. This research was led by a team at Baylor College of Medicine. Halpert and his colleges found that CBD was effective in reduced production of both inflammatory molecules and immune cells connected to arthritis. The data related to this conclusion was first performed by introducing CBD to both human and murine cells grown in the lab and in mouse models. They also found that CBD is both faster and more effective for arthritis when delivered encapsulated with liposomes. Liposomes can be used as a vehicle for administration of pharmaceutical drugs, phospholipid molecules formed artificially to help deliver substances to tissues. Currently there is no effective treatment for Arthritis in humans which is the leading cause of pain and disability in the United States. Cornell University in New York also performed a study on dogs and found results with clinical significance. 2mg of CBD twice daily can help increase comfort and activity in dogs that suffer from osteoarthritis. In this pharmacokinetics study there were no side effects reported. Once again cannabidiol(CBD) is more effective than NSAID’s causing 55% of the canine dogs to have adverse effects, especially in geriatric patients with certain comorbidities, such as gastrointestinal pathologies. The hypothesis of their study was in fact that CBD was able to safely reduce pain and increase activity in dogs with OA. This is possible through the endocannabinoid receptor system with its known role in pain modulation of inflammation.
On June 25, 2018 the Food and Drug Administration(FDA) approved a drug called Epidiolex(Cannabinol) aka CBD to treat two rare and extremely severe forms of epilepsy. These two diseases are known as Lennox-Gastaut syndrome and Dravet syndrome. The famous Charlotte Figgy who was 5 years old and having 300 seizures a week was saved by cannabidiol, when no other pharmaceutical medicine was effective. The parents of Figgy tried everything the doctors advised them to do for years with no signs of hope. Some of the doctor prescribed medicine that nearly killed Figgy causing disruptions in her breathing patterns. After the discovery of CBD Figgy’s parents were finally able to meet their daughter for the first time. The child who was having 300 seizures a week, was now down to just one every seven days. After 2 years on a feeding tube she was now eating, talking, and walking on her own. She even had a strain named after called Charlottes Web. All of this took place while CBD was federally illegal and way before the FDA approved a CBD drug for epilepsy. Cannabidiol(CBD) is an absolute hero in many cases helping people with epilepsy.